With the holiday season upon us, it is time to begin the various festivities of the holidays. From shopping to family gatherings, the holidays can be a busy time for you and your family.  Don’t let all the hustle and bustle of the holiday season make you forget about all the pet-proofing measures you take throughout the year to keep your pet safe.

As you get ready for the holidays, it is essential to keep your pet’s exercise and eating habits on track while also steering clear of toxic plants, unsafe decorations, and unhealthy treats.

Keep your Seasonal Plants and Decorations Pet Safeholiday hazards for your pet

Secure Your Christmas Tree

Be sure that your Christmas tree is securely anchored to keep it from tipping over and causing injury to your pet. If your tree is anchored correctly, you can also avoid the tree water spilling onto the floor where your pet could drink it. This stagnant tree water is full of bacteria and could cause your pet to become ill with vomiting or diarrhea if they drink it.

Avoid Tinsel’s Appealing Sparkle

Tinsel’s light-catching sparkle appears as a toy to cats who will bat the tinsel around and carry it in their mouths, which may lead to them swallowing it. If they ingest tinsel, it can result in a block in their digestive tract, dehydration, vomiting and in some cases the need for surgery.

Keep Wires Out of Paws Reach

Items like batteries, wires, and plastic or glass ornaments should be kept out of your pet’s reach at all time. If your pet chews or punctures a wire, it could lead to them receiving potentially deadly electrical shock while punctured batteries can cause burns in the mouth and esophagus. Glass shards from a broken ornament can cause severe damage to your pet’s digestive tract and mouth.

Don’t Deck the Halls with Boughs of Holly

If a pet ingests holly, it can cause them to suffer from diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. Mistletoe can also cause stomach issues as well as cardiovascular problems. Some varieties can even cause kidney failure if ingested by cats. Instead, try using plastic holly or mistletoe for festive, but safe décor.

Holiday Foods to Avoid for a Happy and Healthy Pet

No Holiday Cookies or Sweets

As most pet parents know, you shouldn’t feed your dog chocolate or anything sweetened with xylitol. Pets can be sneaky and are likely to try and make their way to the holiday cookies and other treats, so it is essential to keep them away from the table or unattended food plates. Also, be sure to secure your garbage can lids to prevent them from getting into them.

Don’t Leave Alcohol Unattended

It is essential to keep your drink out of your pet’s reach during your holiday celebration. If your pet ingests alcohol, they could become ill and weak and could slip into a coma that may result in death dues to respiratory failure.

Keep the Leftovers to Yourself

Avoid feeding your pet spicy, fatty or other dangerous human foods. Watch out for bones as well. Feeding pet’s leftovers of human foods can lead to illness and other complications that may leave with costly medical bills.

Quality Veterinary Care for a Safer Holiday

At the Animal Medical Center of Streetsboro, we take pride in providing a wide range of preventative care, medical, and grooming services to keep your pet looking and feeling their best this holiday season!

Contact us today to learn more about how to make the holiday season safer for your pet.